Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A late Christmas gift and Snow Day!

I have to share the most exciting news around here these days. Charlie has been diaper free all of 2011! It is official. He is still training, but I feel safe enough to leave the house with him and no diapers! I consider it Charlie's late Christmas gift to me. It hasn't been easy, but he seemed ready and made it easier than I thought. No diapers does not mean I haven't been dealing with lots of messes, but Charlie tells me he needs to use the bathroom and his only messes now are when he gets off the toilet a little too soon! TMI? Sorry. It's fun to see his little buns now. I think Charlie is just mystified by the whole thing. He does all these funny squat moves to show the new freedom of movement he has without a diaper!

Yesterday afternoon before the big storm hit, we already knew school was cancelled for today. The snow didn't even come till we were all asleep. We stayed up late and watched movies, then woke up to this:
It was so pretty. All the snow on those branches caused some power lines to break. We were out of power twice. Once for three hours. I'm so grateful for POWER! and HEAT!

To keep busy, the kids built a big structure complete with army guys and train tracks. Pres wore her ballet attire for the occasion.
When the power was out, the kids played outside for over an hour. So nice. Charlie kept his tongue out almost the whole time!
We kept a previously scheduled play date and had one of Noah's friends, Isaac over. It is his comrade in all things football.
We got a little nervous having the power out, so Josh brought home a few cords of fire wood and came home a bit early to dig our car out before it iced over. Just as it was getting totally dark and I was scrambling to find more candles, the power came on! Whew! I was so grateful. It's hard to keep candles burning when you have wrestling, pillow fighting boys in your house! We still used the fire wood...
 All Josh's idea. He comes up with the craziest most fun ideas.
 Charlie was all over those s'mores.
 Gotta love the grainy pics. I'm telling ya, it is DARK here. My ISO is all the way to 2500.
 Five mallows at a time, huh?

5 comments:

allegra said...

eek! i hate when the power and heat go out, too. our heat went out the other day. it's fixed now, but it's always nice when it comes back on:) and it makes you more grateful.... heat is a MUST in those frigid boston winters! the snow is so pretty though! miss all that snow!

charlie in his red franks underwear. toooo cute! way to be, big boy:) max has those same undies and they're some of his favs....next to his lighting mcqueen ones of course:)

Kate said...

So jealous of Charlie's potty training- I need to get Soren in gear! You've inspired me.

Leslie said...

You guys we're totally our back up plan if the lights/heat didn't come back on. There was talk of sacrificing our kitchen table to your fireplace...anything to keep from being cold.

Sweet J said...

Random stranger with a random comment here. You have GREAT photos.

Heather said...

How do you make snow and no power look so fun!?! You're amazing. I am such a wimp. I thought of you because the weather there has been all over the news. Also, I still love your short hair.