Saturday, January 15, 2011

heart-shaped box

 
Does a certain song of the 90's come to mind when you hear that? I remember thinking that Kurt Cobain must've been so fascinated with the idea of birth and having a child. His lyrics might have even sparked some of my curiosity on the topic. Never would I have imagined parenthood to be what it is for me though.
I have to talk about little Presley Kathryn. She is reminding me of the complexities of a mother daughter relationship. I forget from time to time since my own mom has been gone for over ten years now. Presley is a noticer (total Joy School word/lingo!) She knows what kind of earrings her teacher at church wears or what someone's dad's watch looked like. She also notices when I tell her that I love her. Since she was out of school a lot lately with Christmas and snow days, she has noticed me saying I love you to Charlie. She told me something that made my heart sink. She said, you are like a babysitter or a teacher because you don't say I love you a lot to me. Only at bedtime. Oh my goodness! She was right, though. It just happens that you say it more to the person who is glued to you the most. That certainly doesn't mean that I don't love each of my sweeties equally (of course). My resolve is to say it often to everyone. Also to just be a little kinder. Who knows what else PK is noticing. I have a feeling it will make the Plant world a happier place.

Here she is. My little spittin' image. Love can't even describe how much she and her bro's mean to me. 

5 comments:

allegra said...

oh my gosh, she totally is your little spittin image. you look the exact same. lucky presley, lucky you! i just love that you're always allowing her creative little self to come out.. always making art projects. that's so cool. you're a great mom... how sweet of her to remind you she wants more "i love you's." :)

Clair said...

What a sweet story of a beautiful mother and a beautiful daughter.

Heather said...

My parents were just here last night and they couldn't get over how much Presley looks like you as a kid. They thought it was like looking at you. Just the fact that you took to heart what Presley said makes you a good mom. You really are. I know, just know, that your mom would be so proud of the mom you are. I love and miss her.

Marshall Lynch said...

she is very creative.nice work.
Minnesota Real Estate | Baby Gift Baskets

Liou Duvinini said...

Interesante...