Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Swan Boats Field Trip

Don't you just love it when you know you're kids are having the time of their lives? I had one of those moments yesterday when I went with Noah's class to the last field trip of the year. We went to the Boston Public Gardens and to the Common (Boston's Central Park). Noah's teacher has been kind enough to let me bring Charlie and Presley to all the field trips this year. They have loved every minute of it.

The class read this children's book about a real Boston location:

http://www.natvanbooks.com/cat/121.gif
Then we visited the location. This is one of the many reasons Boston is a great place for people to visit with their kids.



We got to ride on these charming swan boats in the big park pond.


here are Noah and PK enjoying their ride.


These are bronze sculptures of the ducks in the book.




Here is Noah with his best bud. See what I mean about "having the time of their lives?" Such a great moment. I live for this.



Then there's Noah's teacher...She's retiring this year after forty+ years of teaching. I haven't admired a woman so much since I met my mother in law. Noah's teacher is from South Africa and has this gorgeous accent. You can just see that she is a dedicated servant of society. She is n environmentalist, a child advocate, and when she is not out building homes in New Orleans, she's focusing on the little details that are so important, but so often get overlooked. She is so great at listening to the kids. Any little story they have, she stops what she's doing, looks them in the eye, and gives them her full attention. I can tell that she has built up Noah's self esteem. He comes home from school and knows that his opinion and words are imprtant and that he matters. How can you ever repay a person who has done that for your child?
I'm framing this shot and giving it to her as a farewell/ thank you gift. Not even close to enough of a gift for her, though.

11 comments:

Sara said...

wow, his teacher sounds amazing. Look at the love those children have for her. she'll love that photo. I can't imagine having so much energy to be a teacher for 40+ years ... wow.

your kids are SO cute! love PK's hair. the curls are to die for!

allegra said...

i am in love with that last picture...with all the kids hugging her. she sounds AMAZING!

and don't you do that. don't you post cool pics of boston:) it's making me HOMESICK!! aaahhh! max loves the duckling statues. we'd go there almost weekly....

michelle said...

What a lovely photo - you're making me want to go to Boston immediately.

Annalee said...

what a fun field trip. She sounds like an amazing teacher, she'll be greatly missed I am sure. That is a cute photo, she'll love it!

denise plant said...

This post made me tear up! Noah's teacher is my hero too! So glad you were able to capture that last shot.

Miggy said...

Terese--That will be an AMAZING gift. She will love it. I love it and those aren't my kids surrounding me with hugs and love.

robin marie said...

pk's little hair is so curly!

Heather said...

hooray for good teachers! so glad noah had her!

Cagney and Laci said...

Why does that last picture make me want to cry. I just love it! Why are you so stinkin' talented? I just adore your blog cause of all the fun picts!

Cagney and Laci said...

Why does that last picture make me want to cry. I just love it! Why are you so stinkin' talented? I just adore your blog cause of all the fun picts!

Lauren said...

I, too, want to cry over that last photo. She is going to LOVE it. What a sweet idea.

Charlie is so big and precious!! How did our babies grow up so fast?!