Saturday, September 4, 2010

The Haps

I have been away for too long! My photo blog has been much less neglected these days so if you want to see where I have been or what I have been up to, head over there.



We have been busy and we have been lazy! It is a good mix! This week we had lots of play dates with Noah's buddies. At lunch one day the boys were all eating and watching a baseball game online. I felt like I was surrounded by mini men. They were on espn.com checking scores and talking about players. I thought it was a crack up.

Other things going on around here...we went to a fun water park the other day in New Hampshire. It was nice not being able to carry a phone or camera around for a change! The kids had a blast. Josh spontaneously took the day off work and we celebrated one of the last days till school starts. Noah went with Josh on this drop ride that almost made me lose my lunch. Pres, Charlie and I watched him go down and it was so freaky! His arms were flailing and he was supposed to have them crossed over his chest. Holy cow! He loved it though! My kids were incredibly brave. We had so much fun.

Also, I have changed some things in my life these days. I started running. No half-hearted once in a while stuff. This is five days a week sometimes twice a day for 2 to 5 miles. I gave up a bunch of my guilty pleasures too: Red meat, white bread and pasta, and mayo. I will eat these things when I'm at someone's house and it is offered, but I have been moderating it a whole lot. Also I cut back on sweets quite a bit. It hasn't been so hard since I feel like it is a lot of work to get up at 6 am to run every morning. I can't imagine throwing that away with a giant cupcake! Josh has been awesome at supporting me and getting Charlie entertained when he wakes up. I feel like a new woman. It has been about six weeks since I started this and I've lost 12 pounds! I didn't think I was a fatty before, but now I feel trimmed up. I was wearing some jeans from last fall and I thought I accidentally put on Josh's pants, they were so baggy! It's a fun feeling. I'm not posting this to be braggy. I just want anyone out there to know that it is doable. It has been 7 stinkin years since I have had a steady workout. The time has now come. Mentally it has been the greatest thing. I do so much thinking on my runs. I have quiet to sort things out. Also, I feel so proud of my accomplishments. My latest thought is this:

"You can't sit around and wait for others to cheer you on and praise you. You have to be the one to root for yourself."

This applies to me in so many areas of life: motherhood, art, photography, running, just being a woman. Maybe not the most profound thought, but it as taken me to the ripe old age of 31 to figure it out.

Here's to more days of running and happiness!

5 comments:

allegra said...

terese, that is AWESOME you're running a lot! it does do such great things for not only your body, but almost more importantly your mind! i miss it. i used to run a ton in college and now i probably could barely run a mile i'm so out of shape. i just miss, like you said, the sense of accomplishment from it all and how it's great for you mentally. it really does make you happy.

now... maybe i'll have me a good little jog this morning. maybe not a run... (i've gotta start somewhere.:) haha)

you go girl!

allegra said...

p.s. congrats on the pounds lost! show us a pic of your ripped muscles:) :)

michelle said...

Way to go Terese!

SewSara said...

i'm so impressed by your changes and goals ... great job!
i need to make some changes like that, too. i have been feeling awful sluggish and tired. need to just do it already.

you're inspiring!

Heather said...

Way to go, Terese! That's so inspiring. I'm especially impressed that you get up so early to work out.